We all want to have a bedroom that’s inviting and somewhere to relax in towards the end of the day. Most people wish for a large room that they can fill with furniture to create an area for escapism, but if you follow a few simple rules it is possible to turn even the smallest bedroom into a haven away from the hustle and bustle of the world. The first thing you need to do is decide between light and airy and warm and cosy.
A light and airy, tranquil space
If you prefer your bedroom to be light and airy and filled with tranquility then you should follow these guidelines.
- Keep the colour scheme simple and try and steer clear of patterns. Use white as your base colour for an air of tranquility and add a splash of another colour to brighten it up.
- Blues, greens and purples will give a room an illusion of space. You’ll need to choose the lightest tints possible so as not to overpower the room.
- Keep your window dressing simple, and use muslins or other sheer material as decoration. Add a blackout roller blind to keep the light out while you sleep.
- Invest in storage. If you want to keep your room looking light and airy you’ll need somewhere to store your personal items away out of sight.
- Keep furniture to a minimum and keep the colours as light as possible to add to the feeling of space.
Warm, cosy and stylish
- If you prefer your hideaway to be warm and cosy you’ll need to follow these guidelines.
- Invest in warm reds, golds and browns for the walls, furniture and the bed covering.
- Layer your bed with cosy throws and blankets and use textured pillows and scatter cushions to add a sense of warmth and comfort.
- Add some floral and stripe patterns to your room for a touch of style. Keep the colour scheme common across different patterns to ensure they work well together.
- Use closet systems to keep your clothes in check and out of sight so your small room looks cosy but not cluttered.
Decorating a small bedroom can be challenging but it’s not impossible. Follow these simple rules to create a real oasis that you can escape to.